Saturday, November 20, 2010

Easiest Granola



This morning i felt I should be productive. EW is on a granola kick and I cant keep up with her extreme granola intake!  This morning i gave myself three projects. 1. Figure out how to make dish soap out of things we have here ( I would not call this a success per se...but not an epic fail)  2. make applesauce out of  the remains of EW's partially eaten apples 3. restock the granola supply!  Below is the recipe that we both love.  I am obsessed with coconut oil and the seemingly endless things it is great for.  I tried some in this recipe and am loving it.  Enjoy!

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper

4 C Organic Rolled Oats
1 Tbl Butter
2 Tbl coconut oil
1/3 C local honey
1/2 tsp sea salt

Melt the butter, coconut oil, and honey together.  Toss oats and salt together in a large bowl.  Add honey mixture to oats, toss to coat.  spread evenly on a baking sheet. Keep an eye on your granola. After about 15 minutes ( maybe a bit sooner) you should take your sheet out and stir your granola around so that the edges dont scorch. Put it back in and continue to bake until oats are lightly golden brown.  Once browning starts, they get too brown really quickly...so just hover around your oven for a bit to avoid overcooking.   Remove pan from oven, Cool.  Toss with dried fruit if you like...store in airtight container.

Note:  you could easily add nuts to this recipe.  Reduce Oats by 1C and add in 1 1/2 C pecans before baking.

2 comments:

  1. just like that huh!? I was just thinking it's time to switch to warming oats in the morning before heading out into the cold, but I was feeling guilty that the oats I have in the pantry were old and not great for cooking anymore....but to granola them! brilliant! My next adventure is yogurt from our raw milk which we always end up pounding in mass quantities before it goes bad....but to make yog with half the gallon would be perfect. I've seen it done, I've done it with friends....but to do it on my own still make me nervous. good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sam, I make yogurt all the time. Want ze recipe? Its so easy...I make mine in whatever jars I have around, then keep them in a shoebox stuffed with newspaper, which i then wrap in a blanket..til done. today i am making Lemon. making yogurt makes me feel excellent.

    ReplyDelete